The Sancturay Madonna of the Caves


  • The Sancturay Madonna of the Caves

Energitismo Insight

The Sanctuary of the Madonna of the Caves is located along the gorges of Antrodoco. It was built in 1604 in the place where a Berardina Boccaccio had discovered a shepherdess of nine years, in a cave, a sacred image of the Virgin with the Child Jesus in her arms. In the cave, the bishop celebrated the first Mass on September 29 1602 and, given the large influx of the faithful, collected the money for the church. In the crypt are buried the remains of the French soldiers who died in the 1799 Moti peasant rebellion in the Bourbon Kingdom.  

Subscribe to see the latest