This is a bridge for those with black humour. The bridge is built on three series of arches, 69 meters high and 312 meters long. It was inaugurated by the Pope in 1854 and was open to all the wheeled vehicles. In 1944 the bridge was blown up the retreating German army to impede the advance of Allied troops and re-‐opened to traffic in 1948. The bridge has a strange destiny and many people threw themselves maybe attracted by the emptiness. To avert these frequent suicides, elegant protective nets were placed around the parapets in 1997.