The complex dates back to the thirteenth century when it was built over an ancient Roman villa. It was established at the behest of the Abbey of Farfa. It was first a monastery of Benedictine nuns who remained there until 1460, when Pius II ordered their transfer to Rome. After years of neglect, the monastery was rebuilt and enlarged by the Franciscan friars: the old church was renovated and furnished with magnificent choir stalls of inlaid wood, still well preserved today. The church was built from scratch and within it is a monumental main altar, richly decorated with precious marble, with statues of St. James and St. Philip and a seventeenth-century painting.