The church was built in 1733 in an area where miraculous apparitions occurred. It was then rebuilt in 1872. The Madonna with the child in her arms appeared to the priest Antonio Petrone on March 4, 1721, and brought him healing of his illnesses. Later in April Our Lady appeared to another priest Archpriest Gentiles. Every year, in May, the image of the Madonna is uncovered and the church is a place of pilgrimage. The many miracles, of which there is extensive documentation, appear to be associated with anointing with the oil of the Madonna lamp.