The church was founded in the late sixth century, during the pontificate of Gregory the Great (590-605). It was destroyed by the Barbarians and rebuilt on the initiative of Saint Francis, who also founded the convent of the "Scarpanti". The convent was occupied until its closure ordered by Pope Innocent X in 1635. In 1644, the church was restored and its present shape dates back to a rearrangement of the eighteenth century. The interior has a nave and in its back wall is an ancient statue of the Madonna celebrated every year during the grain harvest.