The church was built in 1321 as a place of worship adjoining the hospital of the same name. In the seventeenth century the Gothic church was radically restored in baroque style with decorative stucco elements in white. The facade is topped by the belfry with its clock in majolica and there is a second Gothic tower near the apse. Along the nave, covered from the original times by a Gothic cross-vault, are two marble altars and the hall ends with a rectangular apse with valuable wooden choir benches and a huge altarpiece. The old pipe organ was built in the late seventeenth and was played by Alessandro Scarlatti.