Paola Tower


  • Paola Tower

Energitismo Insight

The tower stands on a rocky outcrop overlooking the sea and was commissioned by Pope Pius IV in 1570 as a defense against Saracen pirates. The 4 towers (Paola, Moresca, Cervia and Fico) had to be round, with three floors, with the entrance on the first floor protected by a walkway that could be raised by means of a drawbridge. The tower was later reinforced with a 'shield', a high parapet facing the ground.  

Subscribe to see the latest