The history of the lake, or lakes of Capena is very articulated and begins in October of 1856 with a sulfur eruption below the village of Leprignano in the area called 'Lake Puzzo'. The farmers who were working in the area understood strong earthquakes accompanied by underground rumbles ('as artillery discharges') while a stretch of the surface gradually sank. After an explosion a chasm of about of about 100 meters in diameter formed, filled with water and hydrogen sulphide gas. Over the years the lake was filled with earth. Many years later, in April 1925 a similar phenomenon occurred and a lake formed as the area sinking was crossed by Gramiccia stream. Of this lake there is a drawing from that time. Recently, in 1985, the phenomenon reoccurred and the centre of the earth erupted water, stones and mud that fell in the countryside scaring the population.