The Feast of the Redeemer is the event that recalls the construction of the Church of the Redeemer in 1576 as a votive offering for the liberation from the plague that had killed more than a third of the population in just two years. At the end of the plague, in July 1577, it was decided to annually celebrate this liberation and this tradition continues. The third Saturday in July is opened a long votive bridge of boats which permits walking to the Church of the Redeemer. The bridge is opened by the patriarch of Venice, going from the start of the procession to the island of Giudecca. The following Sunday there are three races of typical Venetian boats.