The complex was built in 1282 by Cardinal Giacomo Savelli, later to become Pope Onorio IV. A first restoration was made by Marcantonio Colonna in 1769 that has impressed a baroque style, while the façade has a neoclassical style of the nineteenth century. Inside there are numerous paintings made between the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries. Above the altar is a painting of St. Paul done in the late seventeenth century by Pietro da Cortona. Under the altar of one chapel is housed the body of St. Gaspar Del Bufalo, founder of the Missionari del Preziosissimo Sangue (Missionaries of the Precious Blood).