In the history of Aquino there have been three cathedrals. The first cathedral dates back to the fifth century, it was dedicated to the apostle Peter and corresponds to San Pietro Vetere. The second cathedral, dedicated to Santa Maria degli Angeli, arose on today’s archaeological site of Aquinum Cathedral and remained until about halfway through the thirteenth century, when it was replaced by the church of San Costanzo, dedicated to the patron saint and bishop of Aquino in VI century. During the bombings of 1944, the San Costanzo cathedral was damaged and was rebuilt on the opposite side of the square. The church is therefore modern and inside there are some relics of St. Thomas donated by the Toulouse Cathedral, where are the remains of St. Thomas.