Church of San Felice


  • Church of San Felice

Energitismo Insight

The church is located in one of the best and highest positions in the town and was erected on the spot where stood the house of the saint. The church is from the mid-seventeenth century and its façade is the eighteenth-century. The church has an eighteenth century organ. The plan is a Latin cross and the interior has a Baroque style. In the dome are represented some of the miracles attributed to the saint. The main altarpiece depicts San Felice with the Virgin Mary and baby Jesus. Inside is a statue of San Felice, dressed in his own Capuchin habit, which is carried in procession by the Capuchin brothers on the day of the saint's feast (May 18). The shrine of St. Felice of Cantalice is a pilgrimage destination. Felice Porro was born in Cantalice between 1510 and 1515 and was initially a shepherd farmer. As a child he went to the Picchi family service in Cittaducale, where he developed his aspiration to become a Capuchin friar. Felice took vows after having miraculously escaped death, run over and trampled by bulls, he was unbroken. He entered the convent in Rome in 1544 and there he proctised his ministry for a long time, so to gain a huge popularity. He was a friend of St. Philip Neri and Cardinal Peretti, the future Pope Sixtus V, who predicted the papacy. He died in 1587, and Sixtus V, who sought the canonization process, started it immediately.

Subscribe to see the latest