The church dominates the town with its convex shape and the yellow colour of the facade. The building dates from 1500 and was built where previously stood the ancient Church of St. Mary (now the sacristy). The church was renovated between 1671 and 1700 and subsequently destroyed following the earthquake of 1753. In 1775 it was rebuilt with the current Baroque style by architect Paolo Posi. In 1798 it was sacked by the Napoleonic troops who commandeered all the gold and silver, except for the bust of St. Erasmus that was redeemed by the village women with a generous and extraordinary collection.