In 1222 St. Francis was in Posta and probably wanted to build a church originally dedicated to St. Matthew. The early church was enlarged and a convent was added. The church is thus improperly called St. Francis, as it is dedicated to St. Matthew. The monastery was one of the richest and most prosperous Franciscan era centres until the end of 1200s. In addition to the friary, there was also a convent of Poor Clare nuns under the title of San Francesco. The church and monastery were renovated and restored several times over the centuries. The convent went into decline, and was looted. Today, under the artistic aspect some interesting frescoes are visible and some altars in addition to a fine portal and the bell tower.