The history of the church is quite cogent. In the twelfth century the Church of the Crucifix was built here, which was converted in 1664, by Cardinal Colonna, but the work ended only in 1754. The church collapsed in an earthquake in 1806 and was rebuilt in 1817. Its last restoration was in 1944 after the damage by the bombing of World War II. Inside there are works of art such as The Assumption of the Virgin by Corrado Giaquinto and The Redeemer attributed to Perin del Vaga. Much venerated is the painting of Santa Maria della Pieta miraculously found intact in the rubble of the 1806 earthquake. The low dome and apse are finely decorated with stucco.