The cathedral is dedicated to Saints Gervasio and Protasio, Milanese martyrs, whose remains were found in 326 A.D. by Bishop Ambrose, and who became the object of special veneration locally, and then, patrons of the city. It is the oldest church, located at the highest point of the city, founded originally on a pagan temple and then on an old church, that is a church with the baptismal font, probably built around the eighth century AD. of which there are substantial remains in the mighty stone columns supporting pointed arches, dating from the early thirteenth century. The church has undergone continuous transformation to become the first Collegiate and then Cathedral in 1600. Inside one can find sixteenth-century works of Antonio Circignani known as Pomarancio, Salvio Savini, Giannicola di Paolo, and Domenico di Paride Alfani. Of most note is that of Pietro Vannucci, known as Perugino: The Baptism of Christ and the Madonna in Glory with Saints. Pomarancio painted the walls of the tribune and the canopy of the choir but his paintings were damaged by lightning (1783) that struck the church to the extent that what remains today we can only see the glory of the Saints on the apse. In the apse, above the choir, you can admire a painting by Pietro Perugino depicting Our Lady of the patron saints Gervasio and Protasio, who are holding two battle standards (oriflamme) with the ancient coat of arms and the S.S. Peter and Paul.