During the first World War II Alfredo Barbieri knew immediately the role of aviation and aeronautics, and in 1916 he had a training ground built for military pilots dedicated to those who died in combat. At the end of the war, this area was used in research activities with the Direction of Experimental Aviation. The Montecelio Airport was created for training of new squadrons of pilots using two airfields. Fascism loved aeronautics and Mussolini, as prime minister, founded the Air Ministry. The fascist regime constantly sought new records, such as trans-oceanic flights, to give a sign of the superiority of Italian technology. The Barbieri airport became the meeting place for pilots, technicians and engineers. In 1923 Alessandro Guidoni formed the Air Force Technical Corps and realized 'Air City'. The centre incorporates the rationalist plan set to a hierarchical system of the layout of the buildings with extensive use of local travertine marble. Under his leadership the work of expanding the consolidation of laboratory facilities continued. They also built buildings for civil use (housing, school and post office), precursor of the birth of the future aviation city of Guidonia. The airport is not open to civilian traffic, but is shared through a historical cooperation with the Flying Club of Rome, which at this airport has the headquarters of the school of gliding.