The church dates from the ninth century and is one of the oldest buildings around which arose immediately after initial habitation by the monks who ran the church. Today of the house is still standing the sacristy of the church. The original entrance was characterized by the wash house The interior has a single nave with wooden roof and in an urn beneath the altar there is an old rotten log. Legend has it that on June 10, 1515 Our Lady appeared here to invite the people of Marcellina to give penance. After this appearance trunk flourished with ginestre (yellow flowering bush). Even today, the people of San Polo dei Cavalieri on each February 2 in Marcellina venerate the trunk.