The monastery was formed in 891 on the ruins of a former Roman villa. Burnt by the Saracens it was reconstructed in the second half of the tenth century and entered into competition with the Abbey of Farfa for control of the territory. San Salvatore sided with the emperors in the struggle with the papacy and for this reason has been called the 'imperial abbey'. In the fourteenth century the decline began, until in 1629 Pope Urban VIII, by virtue of the bull Singulari Diligentia suppressed the competition by uniting it with the Abbey of Farfa. Just upstream of the abbey a plentiful water source generates a stream that flows to the left of the river Salto.