The Old Bridge or Ponte degli Alpini was built entirely of wood and is covered with a timber gabled roof. Over the centuries it has suffered numerous catastrophic destructions and subsequent reconstructions. It was first built in 1209. In 1569, after yet another destruction, the bridge was rebuilt according to the plans of Andrea Palladio. It has since been destroyed three times, because of the overwhelming flood of the Brenta (1748), a fire (1813), an explosion caused by the Allies (1945). The last reconstruction was made by Alpini military corps and from this the bridge derives its current name.