The earliest records of the castle date back to 1027 but the structure was earlier. It is in a dominant position at the highest point of the town. The Castle followed for many centuries the fortunes of the Abbey and passed through control by several families. The castle underwent profound changes over the course of the fourteenth century that gave it its present appearance. Today it is privately owned and not available for visiting.