The Cerveteri Castle was purchased in the year 1674 by the Marquis Bartolomeo Ruspoli for 550,000 scudi. The central fortress, built to defend against Saracens, was square and was protected by walls with towers at the four corners. The battlements of the walls is more recent. Palazzo Ruspoli was erected over the ancient acropolis of Cerveteri and is an imposing sixteenth-century building with double porch outside. In 1760, at the behest of Cardinal Acciupidi, the palace was connected with a walkway to the nearby Church of Santa.