Castellaccio of Monteroni


  • Castellaccio of Monteroni

Energitismo 眼光

The castle dates from the fourteenth century and is called "Castellaccio" since World War II, because of the bad state of conservation after bombing, while "Monteroni" comes from the barrow mounds of the nearby Etruscan necropolis excavated in 1838 (today there are only a couple of mounds). The castle belonged first to the Papal States, and from the sixteenth century to the Marquis of Riano. After World War II it came under the Ente Maremma that gave it to tenant farmers peasants who abandoned it around 1960.

Subscribe to see the latest